How to choose a grain crusher, feed cutter, selection tips and reviews
Grain crusher and feed cutter helps to achieve uniformity of raw materials in the preparation of feed for pets and birds. This facilitates the preparation of feed mixtures and improves their digestibility by the livestock organism.
- Grain crusher
Grain crusher (feed crusher) — a machine for grinding grain crops (rye, oats, barley, wheat, corn), which are fed to poultry and animals.
Kormoreska — a machine for grinding fodder crops (rutabagas, beets, carrots, turnips) used for food by livestock and birds. Presented in two varieties.
- Kornerezka – crushes root crops (potatoes, apples, beets) and helps to mix them with other feed additives. A root cutter is useful on pig farms.
- Straw cutter (silage cutter) — grinds grass, hay, malt, corn stalks, shoots of grain crops. The straw cutter is used in farms where cattle are raised.
Grain crusher-feeder — a universal machine that combines the functions of both devices.
- Evaluate the quality of assembly and painting of the grain crusher / feed cutter body. You should not choose too light models made of thin metal (less than 2 mm) — such products will not last long. A sign of high-quality painting is a uniform colorful coating of the entire surface of the device. In this case, the product is reliably protected from corrosion.
- Make sure there is protection against accidental start. This option will ensure the safety of the user when servicing the device, in particular, washing.
- The loading tank of the device must be protected from accidental contact with hands in the working area.
- It is desirable that the electrical appliance is equipped with protection against motor overheating.
household – low power grain crusher / feed cutter with low and medium productivity. Such models are characterized by low cost, small dimensions and weight. Scope of application — subsidiary household or small farm.
Industrial — a powerful and high-performance device equipped with an engine (electric or internal combustion) and a loading tank (tank, bunker). Industrial grain crushers/feed cutters can easily handle large volumes of raw materials, but are expensive and take up a lot of space. The area of use is an agricultural enterprise.
type of drive
Manual (mechanical) — driven by human muscle effort. It is low cost, reliable, compact, light weight and does not require electricity. The unit can be used anywhere without the risk of electric shock. At the same time, working with a handheld device is inconvenient and leads to rapid fatigue, which negatively affects productivity.
Important: manual feed cutters are suitable for processing small amounts of raw materials, especially fruits, vegetables and root crops.
electric motor (from the network) — provides comfortable operation and good performance. Among the disadvantages are the high price of the device itself and related costs (electricity, repairs). In addition, the device has significant dimensions and weight, is “tied” to the mains and can cause electric shock (if safety precautions are not followed).
Household models are equipped with single-phase electric motors (220 V). Industrial units have three-phase motors (380 V).
Some industrial straw cutters are equipped with an internal combustion engine (ICE).
Rotary – grinds raw materials by means of moving knives. Differs in high efficiency at small dimensions and low consumption of energy.
roller – equipped with several (1-3) pairs of rollers. It is characterized by the lowest power consumption.
Molotkovaya — has a rotating drum with hammers, a deck and a grid (sieve). Ensures high grinding quality. Minus — reduced productivity (compared to the rotary model).
Millstone — equipped with two disks, one of which rotates, and the second is stationary. Allows you to grind grain to a state of flour.
Pneumatic — an advanced type of rotary or hammer unit. A distinctive feature is the pneumatic intake and unloading of raw materials, which eliminates the need to buy transporting equipment. It also provides for the installation of additional devices, in particular, magnets that will help get rid of metal particles in the grinding.
Power – determines the grinding speed of grain or fodder crops. It is measured in kilowatts (kW). The higher the power, the greater the performance of the grain crusher / feed cutter. At the same time, as this parameter increases, energy consumption increases.
Recommended power of household units:
- grain crusher – 1.7-2 kW;
- Cormorant cutter – 1.5-2 kW.
Performance (grinding speed) — indicates the amount of product that the corn crusher / feed cutter produces in a certain time. The unit of measure is kilogram per hour (kg/h). The higher the productivity, the faster the grain crusher / feed cutter will process the raw materials.
To choose the right device for performance, consider the number and types of animals in the household. Knowing the daily rate of feed consumption, it is easy to determine the required volumes of raw materials for processing.
Recommended performance of household appliances:
- grain crusher – 300-350 kg/h;
- Cormorant cutter – 120-400 kg/h.
Important: the performance of the device depends on the type of processed raw materials. Therefore, for grain grinders-feeders, several grinding speeds are indicated for cereals, root crops, vegetables / fruits, corn cobs, plant stems, etc.
Loading tank capacity – affects the performance of the grain crusher / feed cutter. Measured in liters (l). With an increase in tank capacity, the performance of the device, as well as its dimensions and weight, increase. Find a reasonable balance between the volume of the feed hopper, the size and weight of the device.
Degree of crushing (degree of crushing) — is selected based on which animals or birds the food is intended for. The age and health status of the livestock is also taken into account. Usually, the degree of crushing is adjusted:
- in rotary models, the degree of grinding depends on the speed of rotation of the knives;
- the degree of grinding in roller devices can be adjusted by installing different rollers;
- in hammer aggregates, the degree of crushing is determined by the diameter of the mesh cells;
- the degree of grinding in millstone models depends on the distance between the working surfaces of the millstone.
Dimensions and weight – depend on their power and productivity of the grain crusher / feed cutter. Stationary devices for processing a significant amount of raw materials have the appropriate dimensions and weight — 30-40 kg or more. More compact solutions (8-12 kg) are easy to move, but their performance is much less.
Depending on the crushing method, grain crushers are equipped with knives, hammers, a sieve / sieve / grate. Feed cutters are equipped with nozzles designed to work with a certain type of raw material.