Astilboides and Darmera are almost twins
Both of these plants are perennials.
large huge leaves on high petioles, which are of decorative value for gardeners.
At first glance, they are difficult to distinguish, although they are very distant relatives. The birthplace of astilboides is China, and the Darmers are North America.
Astilboides lamellar (Astilboides tabularis)
- Growth area: China, North Korea.
- Flowering period: July.
- Color spectrum: green leaf with a matte surface, inflorescences consist of small beige flowers.
- Height: peduncle up to 1.5 m, petiole in our conditions 40-50 cm.
- Growing conditions: moist humus soil, partial shade, when planted in a sunny place, frequent abundant watering is required.
- Peculiarities: leaf diameter in our climate reaches 70 cm, in nature up to 1.5 m.
- Growth area: wet undergrowth and shores of water bodies of North America.
- Flowering period: April May.
- Color spectrum: inflorescences with small pink flowers, juicy green leaves.
- Height: petiole height in our climate up to 90 cm, peduncles 50-60 cm.
- Growing conditions: rich, moisture-saturated soils, partial shade, when planting in the sun, abundant and frequent watering.
- Peculiarities: glossy leaves with pronounced veins, up to 50 cm in diameter, in nature reach a diameter of 90 cm, acquire a purple color in autumn.
In mixes at respectful disstoyanii near with astilboides and darmer, it is appropriate to plant plants with a radically opposite leaf shape: ferns, daylilies, hostas, boxwood, «frosty» brunners, variegated geyhers. Such a composition looks dynamic and bright in its own way, like an element of a tropical forest.
REPRODUCTION AND TRANSPLANT
To propagate astilboides by seeds, they are pre-stratified, within a month, the time of sowing in the ground is April. Seeds are very small, shoots — too. However, young plants are very resistant and with sufficient moisture, a temperature of about +25 and moderate lighting, they will develop into adults. They will bloom no earlier than in 3-4 years.
The best way to propagate this perennial is to divide the rhizome into segments with one bud and a lateral shoot. The procedure is carried out in the spring, in early May. Delenki are immersed in fertilized soil and regularly moistened.
What else to read on the site:
Perennial mixborders are an amazingly beautiful decoration of the yard and garden. But when planting a flower mix, it should be remembered that it must be updated periodically. The fact is that at about the 5th year of life, the rhizome of most perennials begins to degrade …
Ornamental Garden Design Trends
In any design there are new directions and established styles. Landscape is no exception — it has its own peculiarities and nuances, however, fashion trends are also visible. It would seem that following the fashion for the garden is a thankless task, given its slow growth …
How many times do we hear or say ourselves phrases like: «here comes the vacation, then …» or «I will retire and start …». And «tomorrow» the pension was postponed for another five years, or at work it was all hands on deck and they were recalled to work from vacation and, at best, they postponed it to February. And what is the result? …